Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Kicking the Crutches

Last winter I broke my knee ice skating. (Yes, I'll go ice skating again.) It's one of those moments that I can use to show off wounds for years. There's a nice scar about 4 to 6 inches that stretches over my left knee. Ask me I'll show you sometime.

For about 6 to 8 weeks I had to use crutches to get around. I hated it. It was pretty hard to be immobile, but I got through it. Here are some observations I gathered during that time.

While I'm referencing literal crutches, I want you to look at the things you may be using as crutches in your life. Friends, relationships, alcohol, your job -- whatever.



Crutches are temporary:
You really aren't meant to be using them for very long. You have to focus on getting off them.

You aren't really walking:You are hobbling, you are just one step better than crawling.

Keep you safe:When you are on crutches you move slowly, constantly cautious about where you are stepping. You really aren't concentrating on anything but not tripping.

Crutches don't promote growth:You can't build muscle or strength if you aren't using your own legs. When you are leaning on something you aren't getting better.

They frustrate you:You know you can do better and its a test of patience.

Keep you dependent:You tend to trust your tools then who you are. You aren't challenged.

Flimsy:They don't really provide much support if you really needed it.

No comments: