Saturday, July 25, 2009

One man's trash, another man's treasure.


Every one has a story. A stuffed animal once loved by a boy or a girl. A dog earred comic book helping to pass the time. I spent the better part of two hours this afternoon at a local antique store. I didn't really plan to go into the store but the window displays of old furniture, a 1930s telephone and a radio lured me inside.

As I strolled through the aisles, I was flooded with memories. A table that looked like the one mom had from grandma. A Pillsbury doughboy doll like the one I had as a kid. An ocassional Fisher-Price playset. Old magazines, LPs, cassettes... seems like forever since we used them.

I couldn't help wonder the stories these artifacts would tell. The birthday present, the anniversary gift, maybe a doodad from a vacation.

Then I had to stop, a recent funeral and upcoming family reunion and a new baby all combine to challenge me to consider what memories am I making. What am I doing to leave legacy to friends and family.

I believe memories are what keep us churning ahead in the tough moments. Those mental monuments that make us stop and reflect on a lesson and a lifestyle.

Proverbs 10:7 says The memory of the righteous will be a blessing. Are you creating blessings for those around you?

No comments: