Sunday, June 11, 2006

Paying your dues





His name is Matt D'Orazio. He's a pro football quarterback. Today he won a championship, and unless you are a super sports fan his name probably doesn't mean much to you.

He's an Arena Football Football quarterback for the Chicago Rush. The Rush held off the Orlando Predators to win Arena Bowl XX.

I've had a chance to interview him a couple times for one of my radio shows.

Matt and Chicago are the portrait of persistence. Matt is an unassuming, simple midwestern boy from Ohio. From what I've been told. He's the type of guy you'd want to marry your daughter, or as your child's teacher. He doesn't have an impressive resume. He started out a small NCAA Division I-AA school, then transfered to a tiny Division III school. He had a great career, but make no mistake he wasn't gonna be first-round pick in the NFL draft.

That didn't stop him, for the better part of four seasons, he played bounced between AFL teams and the minor league af2 system before finally earning a starter's job with Columbus in 2005.

This season, veteran AFL coach Mike Hohensee signed the underated D'Orazio. Now, they are celebrating the ArenaBowl XX title.

I asked Matt earlier this week, "Did you ever feel like giving up and getting a real job?"

D'Orazio, a devout Christian modestly answered, "No, not at all this is what i am supposed to do. Besides, my family and friends would never let me give it up. This is about them as much as it is for me."

Its not a Super Bowl, but it is a title and D'Orazio has a lot of people to visit and a piece of "bling on his finger so show off to his friends.

Think about this...

Who are you living for? Your friends? Yourself? Your family?
What is your definition of success and who's keeping you on task?
Have you given up too much on something you love?

Another friend give me some advice last week about something very important to me that I was ready to move away from. Her advice...

"Fight, Fight, Fight... you'll not get it without the effort and risking it."

for more on Matt click here

No comments: