Monday, June 05, 2006

Steroids

One of my friends coaches baseball. He loves the game more than life, and in many respects its been one of the few constants in his life. Sometimes in balance sometimes way out of whack.

Today he told me of being face to face with steroids. Almost every program that he was involved with in his adult years had someone offer to connect him with performance-enhancers.

“As easy as drinking this water,” he said. “I had them in front of me. The guy offering them to me was living proof they did work.”

He told me about all the things that steroids promised, he told me a compelling medical case for disciplined use of steroids.

Then he looked at me, saying I didn’t use them because I knew using them was wrong. That he knew that he’d disappoint his parents. He knew that he’d be doing wrong. It wasn’t a moral issue, it as just black or white, he couldn’t justify it in his mind.

It’s because he had someone counting on him


That’s just it, if you don’t have someone investing in your life, challenging you to do right, you don’t have a reason to do better… I don’t care what age you are get someone who’s wiser than you and spend some time learning from… and while you are at it, find someone you can invest into.

No comments: